During BMT, I took on the task of writing to him everyday. About anything. Everything. From my crazy day of work to what Kettle amused me with; how ridiculous life is without him here, the progression of the D’s Tigers, inside jokes and random movie quotes. From my broken heart of loneliness to my delighted heart of pride in him; how God surpassed blessed assurance in this time apart to how God will reward us upon our time together. Each ended with either scriptures of encouragement or song lyrics to either lift him up or my reminder of him.
At first I had reason to doubt my consistent scribing: maybe I was revealing too much, maybe I was being too forward at pouring out my heart while he suffered worse than I, maybe I was causing grief with the MTIs. I didn’t know what to expect. That is until I heard him call me on his personal time in BMT, not hearing his voice in over two weeks. He was overjoyed and homesick from them; it’s as if we were back to our dating lives, clinging onto any memento of each other. And then his first letter to me was underlined that he REALLY appreciated my daily writings.
It only continued to show my pride that much more with the coming weeks. With each weekly call, each letter I sent, each letter received with joy, nothing could hide the beaming satisfaction I found in my husband. SO much of that came from God; without His and the continued encouragement here, I wouldn’t have found the happiness in His time with me, and most importantly, a marriage with the sweetest, most amazing man on this crazy, blue sphere. And his graduation came suddenly, as if my prior tearful nights were futile to what was to come. I had more reasons to be thrilled than the number of lights congregating the sky.
San Antonio started on a Wednesday flight down with the happy mom. After a confusing drive with Lucifer Thursday morning, we awaited on the sidelines to 654 graduates within 10 flights belting out their jodies, sweating and running in the unbearable heat. It was impossible to point him out amongst the sea of faces, until the matriarch spotted him on their final lap. He wasn’t as short as he admitted, but compared to the other Airmen, he was of average height. Because of this staggering graduating number, there was unlimited attendance of family and friends. For safety measures, AF emphasized to not run out to the Airmen, but “tap” them out with a handshake, a hug, etc. from their standing attention.
After a long “briefing” with the visitors, each flight marched out on the “Pad,” and were given the rite of passage in the form of an Airmen coin, technically referred as an RMO (round metal object). As a note, when several hundred men and women recite in unison to the Airmen’s Creed, IT GIVES ME THE CHILLS!!! It’s especially true to their last line when they loudly proclaim, “AND I WILL NOT FAIL!” The rest of day consisted of his Base Liberty to explore the many sides of this thriving “inner city.” We found out he was granted a Town Pass Friday and Saturday to 2000 hrs and Sunday to 1800 hrs. The time between composed of chillaxing, eating out, swimming, snacking and/or hacking into a patriotic 5-lb gummy bear! We had to drop him off at a BX in the evening, but we relished in our laid-back attitude away from the base :)
Friday was the “official” graduation day, and his flight was given honors to carry the various state flags on the grounds. With more of our supportive families there to congratulate him, we were given a slight window to check out the living quarters. Everything was perfection: nothing was askew, undone or in disarray. It was by Kyle’s bunk that Uncle Steve presented his flight’s RMO from nearly 20 years ago. In their new 15-passenger van, the Groghans escorted us first to an authentic burger place…SO delicious!!! And it still surprises me, to this day, how fast Kyle can consume any food item. Now, his ability conquers my normal pace!
Saturday was more chill out time and finally finding AF Spouse T-shirts and an “I ♥ My Airmen” cap to boot. It’s truly discouraging to find most but spouse support such as “Proud ____ of my Airmen;” moms, dads, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, neighbors, second-cousins, etc. We enjoyed Texas Roadhouse dinner with the Hoopers & Groghans. I was able to finish the Killer Ribs before he did, so put that on a stone tablet for me!
Sunday was early church service with a VERY “fire & brimstone” attitude towards those that aren’t Church of Christ. Apparently, they “practice” this sermon every week to these recruits. Why do the soldiers go? It’s an A/C building, and they’re allowed to relax and take off their jackets within the confines of the “judgment” room. It’s painting the worst picture to where our salvation comes from; it’s really sad that that’s how they’re “instructing” God’s Word in those that may not know him. SIDENOTE: Please understand that Christians SHOULD NOT HAVE this judgmental view on others who may/don’t know what God teaches. My belief is that our lives are to lead by His biblical instructions. Interpretations arise and alter our mindsets sometimes, but God sees most importantly that we should live in such a way that pleases Him. When we follow His teachings, we are truly children of God. That night was to be our last with him, for the following morning was his ride to Keesler AFB in MS to further his training in technical school aka college as a future ATC.
I’d have to say that the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do with him was to say “Good-bye” again. Even though he gave me a double hug, it couldn’t cease the tears that begged for us to be together always. I honestly didn’t mind waiting the 8.5 weeks for him to endure BMT; difficult, but durable. However, the moment I tapped him out was the moment I wanted our lives to start right there. Hugging him tightly just wanted the immediate way to start on this path God gave us. And hugging him that night…I didn’t want to leave him alone again…We’re not looking forward to another 4.5 months of TS, but we have full confidence in what God’s work thus far to this new lifestyle. Most assuredly, we’re blessed to endure it together.
To all who continue to support and stand by our side, we thank you with a grateful heart and soul. Without your time, strength, love and encouragement, we couldn’t have endured this journey alone. I only pray that we can be the same to you in your time of need. Loving you with the love of the Lord!
No comments:
Post a Comment